Annual Dog Vaccinations – Rio Rancho
Coronado Pet Hospital offers the convenient annual dog vaccinations Rio Rancho pet owners need. We recommend that all dog owners schedule an appointment with a veterinarian to discuss which routine vaccinations your pet should receive. Keeping your dog on a consistent vaccination schedule can reduce the likelihood of contracting diseases and safeguard their long-term health.
The ASPCA categorizes dog vaccines as core and non-core. Core vaccines are considered standard for all dogs while non-core vaccines may be administered depending on the dog’s exposure risk.
Core vaccines attempt to prevent:
- Canine Parvovirus: A highly contagious virus that affects a dog’s gastrointestinal system. It can be fatal within three days of symptom manifestation and is easily transmitted. Contaminated dogs, people and objects can spread the virus to non-vaccinated dogs.
- Canine Distemper: A viral illness that harms a canine’s respiratory, gastrointestinal and nervous systems. It is contagious and there is no cure.
- Infectious Canine Hepatitis: A potentially fatal disease of the liver and other organs. There is no treatment for the infection, which is primarily spread by contact with another infected dog.
- Rabies: An often-fatal virus that affects a dog’s central nervous system and brain. It is transmitted through a bite by another infected animal.
Non-core vaccines include:
- Bordetella (kennel cough): A bacterial infection that harms a dog’s respiratory system. It can spread in similar fashion to how the common cold spreads in children.
- Borrelia (Lyme disease): Transmitted through ticks, it requires a lengthy treatment of antibiotics to destroy the bacteria.
- Leptospirosis: A bacterial disease with a range of symptoms commonly transmitted through infected urine or urine-infected soil, water, food or bedding. The disease can be mild with a quick recovery time or it can become a serious illness resulting in death.
Rio Rancho Dog Vaccinations
At Coronado Pet Hospital, we treat you pet like a member of our family. Many of our doctors have decades of veterinary experience and will provide the highest-quality medical care to your dog. For the annual dog vaccinations Rio Rancho pet owners depend on, visit Coronado Pet Hospital.